Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How can I change the settings in Excel to open an Excel file that is linked in a formula in the file I'm using

I have spreadsheets at work that are all linked together with formulas, linking numbers in one file to other files. My manager can open up these linked files to look at them by just double clicking on the cell with the linked file in it. I, on the other hand, have to go searching thru the numerous folders we have to find the file. Does anyone know how I can change the settings so that I can just double click on the file name to open it up? (I'm using Excel 2000, if that makes a difference)

How can I change the settings in Excel to open an Excel file that is linked in a formula in the file I'm using
You can use HYPERLINK as function (And not Insert %26gt; Hyperlink)


It is made to act like hyperlink, like this


If your cell (With full filename) is D4, then in F5 paste this


=HYPERLINK(D4, D4)


from now on, clicking this cell will open that file (Whatever its type)





Yes, I am the VBAXLMan here
Reply:Just select a formula


Go to Tools


Formula Auditing


Select "Trace dependents" or "trace precedents" (you' ll understand these terms if you are not already familiar with)





Now you will see an arrow pointing to your cell (%26amp; with a box)





Double click on that arrow line. Then it will show you which cells of other workbooks and worksheets are linked to that formula .





Simply double click the sheet you want to open.





Thats all.





(Remember to select a cell which has references to other workbooks or worksheets. If you select a cell which has references to cells only within that worksheet, those links will be shown in blue lines)


No comments:

Post a Comment