Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Was art critic/historian Clement Greenberg ever linked with the CIA's CCF?

My question is for art historians/those familiar with Clement Greenberg.





Now I have my personal bias. i hate the man. Looking at his stance on art interpretations, and in particular his steadfast denouncing of anything which suggested that artworks might reflect the sociopolitical conditions of their time and the social background of their artists, has made me wonder something...





I know that around his time the CIA was funding the Center for Cultural Freedom, a project designed to (among other things) appeal to Soviet artists by showing them how much artistic freedom US artists have. Greenberg's stance, to me, seems right up the CIA's alley. My question is this...does anyone know whether or not he was allied with CIA-linked groups? Did he receive CCF funding? Did he work with them? Every time I read and reread his writings I can't help but wonder if he was CCF-affiliated. Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Was art critic/historian Clement Greenberg ever linked with the CIA's CCF?
the only things i could find made no mention of any connection with the ccf. You might want to do some deeper research. Hey may though might have known about the ccf and felt supportive towrd them


No comments:

Post a Comment