Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ap Bio Final - Is a yellow body mutation in fruit flies dominant, recessive, or sex linked dominant/recessive?

For my AP Biology Final my teacher gave each group an active culture of both homozygous wild type (normal) and a active culture of a different homozygous mutant type fruit fly. Our job is to breed them (very carefully) and determine if the trait it dominant/recessive/sex linked. Our group was given a "yellow body type" mutant. I have heard that this is a recessive sex-linked trait, but my teacher also gave this mutation to another group saying that they were different forms of the mutation. Any ideas what it really is? Anyone done this before? Any help is appreciated, just trying to figure out what it should be so i know what to expect.

Ap Bio Final - Is a yellow body mutation in fruit flies dominant, recessive, or sex linked dominant/recessive?
http://www.ceolas.org/fly/





They have every single resource known to mankind on this.
Reply:I don't know about your specific thing, but we are doing the same lab at my school. We have wingless flies though, sorry I can't help. I think all of the yellow body mutations would be the same, so you should get the same answer as the other group.


No comments:

Post a Comment