Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wheat allergy, how common is it and what is usually linked with it?

I have a wheat allergy - it makes me irritable and lethargic and I get major skin problems, I also have a problem in that I cannot eat rye bread etc as it makes the lining of my mouth sore and blistery, same goes for oats. ( I have been tested for coeliac and it's not that)


My son has similar but reacts in a different way - uncontrollable outbursts plus rashes. He also reacts to high levels of sugar in certain sweets and has to be careful about how much coke he drinks..


Daughter number 2 gets depressed and irritable, she is also sensitive to caffiene, daughter 3 shows signs of same - about to start on elimination diet.


The thing is I went through all the tests and hospital visits etc with my son for several years before a dietician finally admitted that was what it was, she said it was "very unusual", but from what I have heard lately it isn't.


Can anyone give me any ideas of what is usually linked with these food allergies and what I should be looking out for that I may have missed ?

Wheat allergy, how common is it and what is usually linked with it?
Hello Debbie,





First of all you do not have to have celiac disease to be allergic/intolerant to gluten containing grains.All of the grains you mention including wheat,oats and rye.All contain gluten.My suggestion for you is to put you and your whole family on a completely gluten free diet.The allergy tests are extremely inacurate as far as detecting food allergies are concerned.Your body is the best test you have.Keep a food diary of everything your family eats and drinks.Stay gluten free for a few months and try adding the offending foods back in in small amounts if it causes a reaction eliminate it completely Read the book FOOD ALLERGIES FOOD INTOLERANCES.it is a good resource to have on hand.Wheat intolerance is very common in people of european ancestry,blood type O or people who have been on allot of antibiotics.Wheat allergy and gluten intolerance can make you miserable,Schitzaphrania has been linked with it as well.Listen to what your body says thats the most important voice.





Gluten free grains include


Rice,Quinoa,Corn,Amaranth and buckwheat





You can find gluten free cereals,breads,crackers and


even pizza crusts at the local health food store,


or check out the following





http://www.glutenfreeda.com


http://www.celiac.com


http://www.livingwithout.com


http://www.foodyoucaneat.com





Good books on the subject


Gluten free Gourmet


Food allergy survival guide


No comments:

Post a Comment