Sunday, August 22, 2010

How can I find pages in my website that are not linked from another page?

I am trying to find dead pages in my website. A page that isn't linked to from any other page. I have created some stylesheets and have deleted pages but not stylesheets. I can't remember which page has which stylesheet now and wonder if there is an easy way to figure out which .css files are not in use by pages in my website without having to open each individual page.

How can I find pages in my website that are not linked from another page?
If you have Dreamweaver (or download a 30 day fully-functional demo), you can setup your site in there. Once the site is setup (defined), and your cache is created, you can hit delete on each css file, one at a time, and see which files Dreamweaver says are dependent (at this point, DON'T actually delete the css files).





That's the long way, if you don't already have Dreamweaver. Alternatively, you could use a program that allows you to search within multiple files simultaneously, and search for the names of the css files in question.





Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment